I mean, I guess I’m lucky that I haven’t been sick all semester, but seriously…during finals week?! I know for a fact that I’m lucky as hell to have an amazing girlfriend who takes care of me and makes me spaghetti for dinner and kisses me and hugs me and holds me when I need it. She’s so perfect.
Also, PMSing on top of this on-coming cold does NOT help…at all.
One last thing, today would have been my mom’s 57th birthday, and I miss her like crazy. I’ve kept busy, so it hasn’t been as bad as a few other years, but I still miss her. This sounds sick and twisted, but at least I’ve got some “adopted” moms, right? I mean, Alyssa’s mom is like my own (I treat her that way, and she accepts it, THANK GOD!), and Amber’s mom will always be in my life too, and I’ve known her since I was born. I am lucky, luckier than others, but I still miss MY mom. I told myself no crying today, though, so I won’t. Hopefully.
1. Get naked and take a good long look at your body. Trace your stretch marks, feel your hip bones poking out, place your hand over your tummy and take a fistful of yourself in. Appreciate your scars and pimples, your uneven,large,or nonexistent breasts. Take pride in your un/shaven, un/cut, fantastically odd private bits. Hold up a mirror to yourself and study your body. Love it.
2. Be Ugly, reclaim words that are used to put you down and shut you up and scream right back at these fascist beauty standard reinforcing scumbags. Give them the finger and tell them to kiss your fat/skinny/somewhere in between ass ‘cause you ain’t got time to waste with their body hating bullshit. and remember, you don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Validate yourself by accepting yourself.
3. Wear clothes that don’t fit, that are too big or too small and show all your “problem areas” that cosmo insists you hide and walk down the street like the fucking fabulous queen you are. Sashay the hate away.
4. Do what YOU want with YOUR body. Shave or don’t, wear makeup or don’t, whatever choice you make is yours to make, and anyone who shames you for your decision can keep it moving. This also means respecting the choices of others, even if they differ from your own.
5. Surround yourself with loving and supportive people. Rid of the toxic bullshit in your life if possible, and immerse yourself in a community that embraces body positivity and diversity.